You might experience irregular/skipped or painful periods, facial and body hair growth, baldness, infertility, weight gain, headaches and even darkening of skin. In simple terms, PCOD is nothing but an increase of male hormones in women. It affects women in the age group of 11-45 years.
So, let’s look at how yoga can help. Here is a breathing exercise and 5 yoga postures to combat both PCOD and period pains. Mind you, these cannot completely cure PCOD. But it helps to keep PCOD under control and works to reduce period pains we well.
And here’s a short explanation of each:
Breathing exercise for PCOD & Period Pains: Kapalabhati
This is the breathing exercise that was mentioned earlier. Performing Kapalabhati stretches your abdomen, stimulating the pancreas. This helps in counteracting hyperinsulinemia, a major cause of PCOD. Kapalabhati reduces menstrual cramps by detoxifying the body. But Kapalabhati should be avoided if you have hypertension/BP.
5 Yoga Postures for PCOD & Period Pains
- Badhakonasana or Butterfly pose : As the name indicates, this yoga pose involves holding your body in a butterfly like position. Prolonged holding of this yoga pose stretches abdominal and groin regions, stimulating it’s blood supply, which helps to regulate menstruation and reduce menstrual cramps. It helps to relieve stiffness of hips, thigh & knees, reducing backpain in the process. The Butterfly pose can be practiced even during menstruation.
- Bhujangasana or Cobra pose : You want to regulate menstruation? This is the yoga pose you should definitely try. It regulates menstruation and improves ovarian functions. Thus, increases fertility. If you are suffering any spine complaints, you should stay away from cobra pose. It is contraindicated.
- Boat Pose : Stretching during boat pose helps to reduce abdominal fat and obesity. This yoga pose also helps to regulate thyroid function, another triggering factor of PCOD. Maintaining sugar level is another benefit of this yoga pose, thereby reducing chances of diabetes.
- Setubadhasana : This yoga pose helps regulate thyroid and menstrual hormone levels. It reduces pain in groin, back and abdomen. Setubadhasana is also beneficial during pregnancy.
- Paschimottasana : It is mainly beneficial for obesity and weight gain related to PCOD. The pelvic organs get a massaging effect from this pose.
So, these are the five yoga poses that can help you to get PCOD under control and relieve period pains. Do leave us a comment if they helped!